Today’s cooking experiment was to find a new preparation for sweet potatoes. We really like them as a side dish and often do a sweet potato mash, or simple (oven made) fries, but it was getting to be too much the same thing. The fix was a variation on the fries theme.
In this variation, we do not go for crispy fries. Instead, we use slightly spiced marinade to keep the fries moist and tasty, and add grapes for contrast.
- 1/2 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut fairly this
- 15 blue grapes in halves
- 1/2 dl orange juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 couple of cloves garlic, mashed
- A touch of thai fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder (or so)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp mashed ginger (1/2 tsk ginger powder would also work)
- salt, peber
I mixed the juice, oil, and spices, added potatoes and grapes, folder everything together, then put in a oven pan, put in oven at 180-200 degC for about 40 minutes.